Saturday, February 27, 2010

Craigslist scam....

Well, I was excited that I THOUGHT I had sold Carson's bed and dresser on craigslist. This was my first and last.

This person who went by Doctor Aubrey Clark lied to me for a week. He said he just moved here on a job assignment, that he would be sending me a cashier check from his bank. He also supposedly had hearing loss and was a retired dentist.I thought OK. He said he would pick the furniture up when I received the check. He then emailed me last weekend and said his bank messed up on the amount of the check, that it was supposed to go somewhere else, Could he please trust me here and send back the extra money. I told him please do not worry yourself sick this weekend, I would never do anything like that. Well, I got the check and went to my bank and cashed it. They didn't bat an eyelash, we do lots of business with them. I took my money out for the bed and wired the rest of the money back to him through Western Union. Y'all the check was not real. I knew something was up when he emailed me yesterday morning and said Sharae, The bank screwed up again and sent you another check, it is supposed to go for a car to someone else, He said I would get the check today....I did alright. I drug my baby around all day messing with this stuff. i went to the police and they took all the info I had and said, No way is this check real. The police said he sees this a lot. That the people who do this do not even live in the U.S., which makes it impossible to do any thing. I was so hurt and felt so betrayed. I was also ticked at my bank for cashing the counter fit check. They should of looked closer. I'm now responsible for the 2550.00! I won't go into details what happened with the bank. The "Doc" had the nerve to email me again and tell me that the check had been delivered to me, when could I send the money back? I told him He was sick and asked him how many other people has he done this to? His reply was, "What's wrong, Sharae?" SICK!!! As I sat there and boohooed, I honestly thought, I hate this happened to me, but I was glad it happened to me instead of a single mom who would now not be able to feed her babies or pay her rent. It was a lesson learned. I hope this doesn't happen to anyone else. My mind never even went there, It never crossed my mind. I wish I wouldn't of been so naive, but I can't change what happened. Please be more careful out there on the Internet!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is first come-first served with me. I will only hold it for a half a day and sometimes not that either. And I only take cash. So far, I have been blessed! Awful story though hun, I'm sorry! Thanks for warning us!

Ruby Red Slippers said...

I almost had a similar thing happen to me!
We were thinking about renting out a floor of our house-and listed on Craig's list last year.
I decided only to professional women, and got two email almost imediately. Both were nurses moving here to work for humanitarian reasons (hmmm-both?) and both had reasons why they couldn't send the down payment when requested, or there was some kind of issue why I couldn't contact them by phone-but seemed to have a great email connection-
(hmmm again-)
Their stories were so similar-and just had too many details of why we couldn't interview them first before leasing. (hmmm-) I got cold feet, and I contacted Craig's List and they directed me to a federal agency about scams-and these were part of it!
The lesson I learned-Deal locally-who cares if they are moving there, will pay more to hold it-it is a scam...
I wrote both of the women, and said if either contacted me again-the Federal Gov. would be speaking with them next...
I am so sorry this happened to you! I seriously feel your pain-I was so angry and felt so betrayed...
Hugs to you today-

Colleen said...

OMG, how awful =( I am just sick for you and what happened here!

Michelle said...

I'm so sorry this happened to you!